Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Enlightenment

Rather than post this as a "status" on fb, I thought I'd write it here. Reasoning, that it's quasi-permanent, and worthy of returning to.

"No matter how plain a woman may be, if truth and loyalty are stamped on her face all will be attracted to her." --Eleanor Roosevelt


I have a certain affection for the First Lady, niece of Teddy, and fifth cousin, once removed of her husband, FDR. She was stolid, not a 'looker,' per se, but definitely had presence, largely because of her personality, her viewpoint towards human rights, equality, and her goodness. Of course, she was born into loads of dough, but her character spurred her to look and support those who weren't.

This comment struck me as something to which I aspire. Loyalty comes without hesitation, even in the face of adversity and unkindness. I believe in my friends, in my family, and those I love and have loved. Unwavering.

The truth part is an element that I recently diminished and now must rebuild and reestablish. This isn't as easy as my words indicate. No mortar and brick, no boards and nails. It's a time-tested lifestyle and belief that can be pummeled and toppled into a crumbled pile and scaffolded together with the twigs and branches of consistency, hope, love, and belief.

"In the long run, we shape our lives and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility." -ER

I've seen and experienced deception, lies, the whole smoke-and-mirrors aspect has emerged on many fronts, not just from me but from those around me and, of course in society as a whole. Boy oh boy is it ever ugly, worth retching over -- painful on the inside and out. It, this or these character flaws are hideous on anyone, including me. They leave and/or create a mottled, potholed trail of bruises, defeat, misunderstandings, doubt, and sadness where once joy, awareness, appreciation, love, and openness thrived and blushed.

It's my job to demonstrate, yes, my loyalty, and my commitment to the restructuring process, to the love that created the sincerity in the first place and, over each day, each hour, create a muddy, albeit slightly stronger sense of truth, forgiveness, and honesty that will, ideally, become a bridge a reconnection, an embrace on one level or another. At some point, mud and straw will give way to a stronger bond.

I am not the most attractive person in the world, but in my simplicity, my plainness, my love for others, I strive for Ms. Roosevelt's statement: truth and loyalty.

"The giving of love is an education in itself." - ER

2 comments:

  1. All the wild horses
    All the wild horses
    Tethered with tears in their eyes
    May no man's touch ever tame
    May no man's reigns ever chain you
    And may no man's weight ever defray your soul

    And as for the clouds
    Just let them roll
    Roll away, roll away
    As for the clouds
    Just let them roll
    Roll away, roll away..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: thank you. This is lovely.

    ReplyDelete